The Role of Confidence in building Influence
Confidence is the solid foundation of all great leaders. They are absolutely confident in their beliefs, and their actions. When you confidently make decisions and lead your team, the people around you feed off of that powerful self-belief. These leaders understand the importance of controlling your state and showing up as someone who can be depended on to lead effectively and think clearly under pressure.
The people who build influence through confidence know how to gather momentum, stand up for themselves when necessary, push others to excel, focus on what’s important, and make quick decisions when action is required.
1. Listen Instead of Thinking about What to Say Next
Confidence can’t be faked. You either have it or you don’t. And if you’re lucky enough to have been born with a strong dose, then there’s no better time than now to harness that power and turn it into influence. Building confidence means doing the work required to know what you’re talking about, having the discipline not to rely on ‘winging it’, and maintaining a confident demeanor at all times, even when things get really tough.
2. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes
No one is perfect. We all make mistakes, but the key to successful leadership is getting back up and moving forward. Building your confidence means putting yourself out there, taking risks, and learning from your mistakes. Sometimes, making those errors doesn’t feel great (or even at all good) but it’s important to keep them moving past the failures on to successes by leveraging the power that you have in your team – this way success will start feeling a lot better!
3. Have confidence in yourself and your abilities
Confidence is so important because when you are confident, the people around you feed off that power. You do not need to build up your courage and make sure you believe in yourself, but just show it through the way you speak, the way you act and what you share with the world.
4. Establish Boundaries
What are the boundaries and how are they made? Who makes them? Is there a process to follow? What is the hierarchy? Who has the power to change them (e.g. a manager can be promoted but not demoted)?
5. Set goals and achieve them
– Clear and measurable goals: goal setting is a crucial step in developing leadership abilities. If you don’t have clear, measurable goals, your efforts won’t be as effective.
– Speak with conviction: when you speak with conviction, people feel like they’re being listened to and will trust what you have to say more. Conviction also makes sure that you get your point across and it allows people to know where they stand with you.
6. Admit Mistakes Quickly
– Admit when you are wrong, especially if you already know what you did was not the best idea.
– Apologize for your mistakes when necessary to show empathy. – Sometimes your team will make a mistake. As the leader, it is your responsibility to accept these mistakes, apologize and learn from them. You can’t expect a team to work efficiently if they don’t feel like they are in a safe space where they will be supported, no matter what happens.
7. Seek Advice from People Who Are Better Than You At Something
It’s tempting to try and find people who are your equal, or have a skillset that you don’t have. It can also be intimidating to think about asking for advice from someone more experienced than you. One thing I’ve learned as an entrepreneur is that your skill set is never complete; it’s constantly evolving and changing. One way to get outside feedback on how you’re performing is to seek advice from people who are better than you at something.
8. Learn To Relate To Others' Perspectives, Not Just Your Own
It is important to consider how others might perceive your decision. Sometimes you may feel confident that your decision is the right one, but how does it affect those around you? Showing consideration for others will help them continue to follow and support you. For example, if you want to change the company dress code from business casual to full uniform, make sure there are some compromises (such as options for those who can’t afford the full uniform).
9. Show Gratitude
First, think about what you’re grateful for. It doesn’t matter if it’s big or small–everything counts. Showing gratitude is like a key that unlocks other doors to success and happiness. Gratitude builds up your confidence because you’re constantly focusing on all the great things you have going on in your life–rather than all the challenges ahead of you. There are many people and things I want to thank for making this possible. Of course, there’s my mom, who sacrificed so much for me. And my father-in-law, who helped change me into the man I am today. My first boss gave me my start and taught me how to run a business.
10. Do not undervalue any input from others
Whether you’re trying to create a new company or expand on an old one, there are always hurdles. You’re bound to stumble upon roadblocks that make you second-guess your decisions. As long as you remember not to undervalue the opinions and insight from those around you, success is inevitable.
Skill Development Experiential Learning Programs by Skillarthi
The team at Skillarthi, including industry experts and educationists, has developed skill development courses for students (teenagers) after rigorous research. The blend of industry experts and educationists has added a new dimension to the course content and curriculum. The courses have been curated with a special focus on experiential learning to maximize the impact. The futuristic courses of Skillarthi challenge the status quo and intend to prepare students to face future challenges and stay ahead in life.
The courses of Skillarthi would help students to add a new perspective and help them in doing their best.
How to join the course or program:
- Students can know more about the program by visiting our courses section
- Schools or educational institutes focusing on improvising the existing curriculum or adding courses/program offered by Skillarthi in their curriculum can mail us on [email protected].
Exclusive – Get a free invite to join the Teenverse and be a Chief Life Officer. Invitation only community for teenagers. Limited slots only.